The Flopeye Fish Festival is held on the Saturday of memorial weekend at 2534 James Baker Blvd, off Highway 21 north of Great Falls at the Industrial park. 
Started in 1983 to promote the town and area of Great Falls, This is Chester County, SC longest running festival.


The Festival opens on Friday afternoon around 5:00 pm with music, entertainment, vendors, and carnival running late into the evening.

10246277_10152400930863923_3152734909507062590_nCarnival by Will & Kriss Amusement 

Music by

the finesse band

The Finesse Band



Saturday morning the Festivities will begin at 9:00 am and go until sunset this year closing with fire works. Admission is FREE.

9:00 AM Opening with colors from the GF JROTC

Firing of the Chester Gun http://chesterschistory.org/the-chester-gun.html

9:30 AM Ruthie School of Dance

10:00 AM Duke Energy History of Fishing Creek Dam

(tours of the Fishing Creek Dam available to the public)

10:30 AM ThK.id

12:00 Noon Meet the Candidates

1:00 PM Gamecock Sand Storm


4:00 PM Southern Edge Band

5:30 PM Mister Pleaze Band

8:00 PM Fireworks Show on Fishing Creek Dam

11:00 PM Carnival Closes


Ruthie School of Dance

Ruthie’s School of Dance

9:30 Am Ruthie’s Rockers



Sho~Tyme Band





Mister Pleaze Band

Mister Pleaze

Come join us for the “Happy Dam Birthday Party”

Fishing Creek Lake was created in 1916 and has approximately 3,112 surface acres of water and 61 miles of shoreline. The Fishing Creek Hydroelectric Station dam is 1,770 feet long with 22 floodgates. The lake also provides a dependable water supply for Chester County, South Carolina.


Come join us this year to celebrate 100 years of service to our community and enjoy a fireworks show provided by Duke Energy


The Fishing Creek Dam was built in the early 1900’s forever changing the 178 foot water falls that gave Great Falls its name. The dam was placed in service in 1916 generating electricity for the area.

During this same time (1915-1916) Mr. William States Lee decided that Great Falls would be the location for a newly developed idea of pulling Nitrogen out of the air and using high voltage arcs to do the job.

William States Lee
William States Lee

Only one problem the bricks made in America during this time could not handle the heat produced from the electric arcs in the plant. Mr Lee traveled to Germany to visit the only other Nitrogen plant in the world. Mr. Lee purchased the bricks used and had them shipped over to Great Falls to build the Nitrogen plant. Since 1916 the German plant has been torn down, leaving the Great Falls Nitrogen Plant the only one of its kind left in the whole world. There are plans of restoring the building so that generations can come visit the plant and learn from the past.

With the Nitrogen Plant having a direct connection to the Fishing Creek Dam. The locals nick named the Fishing Creek Dam, Nitrolee Dam to honor Mr. William States Lee Nitrogen Plant. Some of the older generations still know this dam as “Old Nitrolee Dam”

The Fishing Creek Dam had water gates added to the dam in the early 1920’s to raise the level of the river and to better control flooding’s during heavy rains.

100 years later the Fishing Creek Dam is still in service and providing electricity to Great Falls and the surrounding areas.

PyrotecnicoThe fireworks show will take place at sunset on 28th May 2016 to celebrate 100 years. The show will be done by Pyrotecnico. Please join us this year for music, car shows, food, crafts, carnival rides, fireworks and of course great family fun for everyone.


dam photo with fish1 copy

If you’re curious as to where the name Flopeye originated, here is the story. More than 75 years ago, one of the local merchants, Andy Morrison, would sit in front of his general store, having a hard time keeping his prominent eye lids from flopping over his eyes. One of three ladies passing by, not having seen him before, blurted out who is that old flop-eyed man? Several by-standers heard her and news traveled fast over the grapevine to the Republic Cotton Mills president, Mr. Rob Mebane. Flopeye, a good name for that part of town, he said. The name, then, was promoted by mill management and took hold. People liked saying they had been to FLOPEYE. And they still do..